Friends in Mexico
Enjoy the ride!
Yes, I’m writing about the notion that marriages can work even after 50+years.
I am one of the small number of women who still believe marriage is sacred. I have tried many things and many things did not work, at least with my marriage. So maybe some on the list of 50Ways to Stay Married will give you some ideas. Some of them work for me maybe they can work for you!
50 WAYS TO STAY MARRIED
- Use words that are positive and rewarding to your mate. I know there are times you have to let them have it, but remember, you can’t take back words said in haste.
- Tell others how special your mate it and what he means to you. The worse thing you can do is bad-mouth your spouse to others, especially to your children.
- Make his lunch and place a note of love inside.
- Make his favorite meal now and then.
- Include his family when holidays roll around.
- Try not to offend him with hurtful words about his in-laws. There will definitely be times that you will need to talk it out but keep it to a minimum.
- Set aside time for a weekly date. It can be a dinner date, movie, or just a walk in the park.
- Ask him how his day went and listen attentively.
- Stay in tune with his health and how he is feeling on a daily basis.
- Offer to make doctor or dental appointments as needed.
- Find hobbies you both can enjoy. Example; football, camping, water sports.
- Buy his favorite snacks and drinks.
- Bake his favorite cake or cookies.
- Snuggle with him when he’s cold.
- Kiss him good night, every night.
- Laugh at his jokes even when you don’t find them amusing.
- Be able to do some of the home chores without his help.
- Join him at a local church service. This will help to build a strong foundation.
- Always remember birthdays, anniversaries, and holidays with a card.
- Offer to go with him on a business trip, if you can.
- Start each day on a positive note. Tell him you love him!
- Prepare food for his parents when they are sick.
- Ask his friends over for dinner parties.
- Take a vacation where he likes to go.
- Pick up his dirty clothes without complaining. Yes, he could be leaving them on his girlfriends bedroom floor.
- Bake a food item for him to take to his holiday party. You will get rave reviews.
- Ask the kids to honor their father by saying, “yes sir and no sir.”
- Keep the kids quite when he’s watching the game! Most important, it’s his time and they need to watch or go to their room.
- Dress with attire that is appropriate and makes him feel honored.
- Limit your girlfriend phone calls to minimum. Husbands tend to get irritated when you stay on the phone too much.
- Rub his back when he’s had a hard day.
- Focus on his needs before yours. Be available for his sexual needs. There may come a time when he will get what they need somewhere else.
- Don’t interrupt his attitude, he may need nourishment. He may just need to unwind from a hard day. I find this to be true many times!
- Speak softly and do not show anger when things don’t go your way. Compromise!
- Treat your husband with respect. The same will come back to you.
- Set aside a time to reflect on your day and talk out issues that are troubling you both.
- No name calling! This only hurts him and will come back to hurt you in the long run.
- Appreciate his hobbies. This can free time for you to do the things you enjoy.
- Welcome times that he wants to go off with his buddies. We all need time with our friends.
- Be willing to hand over the remote. This is not an easy task. Maybe think about sharing or even buying a TV for the bedroom.
- Keep your car clean. Guys hate dirty cars with all kinds of “stuff” thrown around the inside.
- The man is head of the house. Let him believe it even if you have to take the lead at times.
- Remain faithful until death do us part. God has joined you as one.
- Above all else, keep yourself healthy and desirable.
- Keep the house clean and tidy.
- Have dinner prepared or at least a plan when he comes home from work. You will win brownie points for this one!
- Don’t spend the day in your pj’s even if it’s the weekend. Guys like their ladies to look their best.
- Money issues will arise. Have an open mind when he complains about your shopping habits.
- Make a list of chores you need help with and present it to him. Let him pick one’s he feels comfortable doing.
- Always, always expect to give the best and the best is what you will get in return!
Keep in mind that you and your spouse will always have disagreements. The thing to keep in mind is that you were attracted to each other for many reasons. Look deep into your heart and ask yourself, “Am I willing to endure the little struggles of life in order to have a wonderful life?”
Let me hear from you. I know there a more ways to love and keep your spouse happy. You have to realize know too marriages are alike. You set the pattern when you say I DO. Start today and reclaim your marriage. It’s a daily work in progress but it can happen if you want it to.
I’m hoping 50 WAYS TO STAY MARRIED will give you ideas to get you on your way to a marriage God holds sacred!
In Christian love, Doris
I know, you’ve heard the saying before.
Sunshine in my Soul today!
I want to share my sunshine and it’s because at the ripe age of soon-to-be 72, I made a decision to retire! It’s with mixed feelings and emotions but I know it is what I need to do. My life has been filled with friends and family that want the best for me. I think God is pleased with my decision. I talk to him daily for guidance and inspiration and through my prayers I know God is listening. I guess many of you don’t understand that life but it’s one that’s given me peace and happiness.
I look forward to spending quite moments in my hammock reflecting on the pass and planning the future. My husband and I need this time to travel and enjoy the later years of our marriage. I want to enjoy the days of sleeping late, eating when I’m hungry, and napping on rainy days when I can’t be outside.
I look forward to spending time with my family and laughing about silly things. My friends will fill my days of fun and adventure too. They have always been my inspiration.
Life is full of sunshine and it’s in my soul today!
The beach is calling my name!
I know that is a call for many of us. Relaxing on a white sandy beach, listening to the waves of the ocean, seeing the seagulls flap their wings, and feeling the sand between our toes. We all long for that site, sound, and feeling. It give us the feeling of letting our troubles go. It has healing power and renews our soul.
Dream that dream with me today and feel the power of your own imagination take over. With so many life altering changes in the world give yourself positive reinforcement to control your mind as well as your life.
Just for today,
Queen’s Art Studio
Fall is a time for Changing Seasons! Even if you feel you don’t need to change, a rush of peace comes over me when You see the leaves changing colors or feel the cool morning air upon waking.
The butterflies are loving the butterfly bush and still flutter outside my bedroom window.
Changing Seasons has begun.
The burning bushes will be turning red soon. The Bird Girl is watching and waiting.
The purple asters showed their colors 2 weeks ago!
Changing Seasons has begun.
I love Fall, Doris
Fall season is here!
Its my favorite time of the year. Leaves turning colors of red, yellow, and green. Trees shedding their robes of summer heat and grasses turn brown and sound “chunchy” from heat and wear of the mover and children’s feet. Fall season is here!
I am inspired to remember pallets with my sister making Clover necklaces and looking up at the clouds. Some of my creativity was inspiration from the changes of seasons.
Memories are what makes life special!
Thank you Fall Season,
Life is so good, especially when you realize you have the blessings from above. God gives the blessings I receive and it’s up to me to use my talents to the fullest of my ability. I’m thrilled to be alive!
Today especially, I shopped until I was ready to drop buying fun clothes and accessories to take on my trip to Mexico. I told my friends that I created a shopping frenzy when I decided to be inspired and dress like Advance Style for our trip.
Here is a lady that was thrilled to be alive. She lived her life so that others saw the beauty of her soul. Life is too short not to enjoy what you do and what you wear. Read about this angel of a lady.
This is a portrait of JEANNE LOUISE CALMENT (1875-1997) who was the darling of the media, back in 1995, when she reached her 120th birthday and became the oldest known person in the world – she would further become, by another year, the oldest documented person ever to have lived. I did several sketches, but it was another twelve years before I could start the figure. She was still riding her bicycle at 110 but she fell from it a year or so later, and damaged her hip, which caused her arthritis to advance, so that by 115 years, in 1990, she was confined to a wheelchair. At 118 years, she could no longer hold a cigarette between her fingers, and became a fire hazard, so she stopped smoking. By then, she had smoked continuously for over 100 years, during which time she had outlived every member of her known family, though she never seemed to be lonely, loving life as she did, and having so much of it to remember.
She was wonderfully self-possessed, and naturally polite, so she would always answer questions, but her answers would be as brief as possible so as not to be extensively distracted from her delicious thoughts of the past. “I was a great flirt.” she would say, “There are just so many moments to recall, and each one always reminds me of other things long forgotten.” and she would often ad, “You know, I only ever had one wrinkle and I’m sitting on it.” This, of course, would all sound more naturally amusing in French. Indeed, she always lived in a very natural way, even refusing to have her cataracts operated on, because it was “Natural to have cataracts” at her age.
Her family had been wealthy, so, when she was 84, she was living in a fine Paris apartment when a real-estate broker offered to pay all her bills till she died if she would leave her apartment to him. She agreed, of course, and proceeded to outlive him and all his associates – and the company as well, which she had delivered into bankruptcy, though they claimed at the time it was only to void their agreement.
She was raised in Arles, where her father was a boat builder, and, when she was 18, she spent some time helping out her fiancé’s family-owned fabric shop, which was frequented by Van Gogh when he needed canvass, and, of course she had waited on him. When asked, she would say,” I will never forget him. He was just so dirty – he was filthy as a louse.” It would seem that first impressions really are enduring – and one must keep in mind that Vincent was a failed artist when they met. He never sold a painting in his life, and the lack of recognition clearly unbalanced him – it may have killed him.
She would never give advice on how to live a long life, but would simply note that “God must have just forgotten me.” I think not. In fact, she seemed to grow sassier and lovelier every year, and God must have just wanted to see how long she could keep it up. So, here she is sitting with her ciggies on her own little pedestal for all to admire, but none daring to interrupt the rich flow of her thoughts – good heavens, no!
Thanks for the article and we do love this lady!
That’s why I am thrilled to be alive! I can choose to wear my clothes and accessories no matter what age I am. I love life and live it to the fullest. I hope I can inspire you to give it a thought to enjoy life and feel thrilled to be alive. Show it in your smile, life style, and even your clothes!
Hoping you love me, Doris
I’m Waiting with Excitement to celebrate my 70th birthday in style! I’ve got 2 great friends to share it with and a wonderful husband to help guide our paths. Okay, maybe the word isn’t guide but he’ll be along for the ride. It will be a trip to put in the Queen’s history book!
I’ve gathered some fabulous designer looking outfits for a photo shoot in the streets of San Miguel de Allende, Mexico. That is where my heart longs to be and suck in all the artistry that makes this city so rare. It is one of the best places to visit and see amazing artist at work.
My adventure will be to dress up in style and take some photos of me and my girlfriends in the streets of Mexico. I love the idea that women over 50 present themselves as bold and beautiful.
I love Iris Apfel and how she boldly wears her clothes. She is an inspiration to older ladies. I too, have a passion for bright colors and want to incorporate that in my wardrobe. I think my friends would say, “Yes, she is a colorful lady” and I don’t want to disappoint them.
I’m waiting with excitement to dress up and go out and see what the streets of San Miguel have to offer. This will be my 4th time there and I know I will not be disappointed. I can’t get enough of the culture, art, and the shopping there.
Queen looking for Mexican trinkets
I will definitely update this post with my our photos of the memorable time but until then I’m waiting with excitement and know the days are ticking off. I still have to cancel mail and paper, talk to my local bank, and verify my minutes with my provider. Oh, I forgot, I must start packing because I have a lot of stuff. My husband says one suitcase but a girl’s got to have jewelry, accessories, makeup, meds, and my tablet to document the vacation.
I’m waiting with excitement in Alabama and heading to San Miguel de Allende, Mexico for a holiday!
God Bless, Doris