Yes, I’m writing about the notion that marriages can work even after 50+years.
I am one of the small number of women who still believe marriage is sacred. I have tried many things and many things did not work, at least with my marriage. So maybe some on the list of 50Ways to Stay Married will give you some ideas. Some of them work for me maybe they can work for you!
50 WAYS TO STAY MARRIED
- Use words that are positive and rewarding to your mate. I know there are times you have to let them have it, but remember, you can’t take back words said in haste.
- Tell others how special your mate it and what he means to you. The worse thing you can do is bad-mouth your spouse to others, especially to your children.
- Make his lunch and place a note of love inside.
- Make his favorite meal now and then.
- Include his family when holidays roll around.
- Try not to offend him with hurtful words about his in-laws. There will definitely be times that you will need to talk it out but keep it to a minimum.
- Set aside time for a weekly date. It can be a dinner date, movie, or just a walk in the park.
- Ask him how his day went and listen attentively.
- Stay in tune with his health and how he is feeling on a daily basis.
- Offer to make doctor or dental appointments as needed.
- Find hobbies you both can enjoy. Example; football, camping, water sports.
- Buy his favorite snacks and drinks.
- Bake his favorite cake or cookies.
- Snuggle with him when he’s cold.
- Kiss him good night, every night.
- Laugh at his jokes even when you don’t find them amusing.
- Be able to do some of the home chores without his help.
- Join him at a local church service. This will help to build a strong foundation.
- Always remember birthdays, anniversaries, and holidays with a card.
- Offer to go with him on a business trip, if you can.
- Start each day on a positive note. Tell him you love him!
- Prepare food for his parents when they are sick.
- Ask his friends over for dinner parties.
- Take a vacation where he likes to go.
- Pick up his dirty clothes without complaining. Yes, he could be leaving them on his girlfriends bedroom floor.
- Bake a food item for him to take to his holiday party. You will get rave reviews.
- Ask the kids to honor their father by saying, “yes sir and no sir.”
- Keep the kids quite when he’s watching the game! Most important, it’s his time and they need to watch or go to their room.
- Dress with attire that is appropriate and makes him feel honored.
- Limit your girlfriend phone calls to minimum. Husbands tend to get irritated when you stay on the phone too much.
- Rub his back when he’s had a hard day.
- Focus on his needs before yours. Be available for his sexual needs. There may come a time when he will get what they need somewhere else.
- Don’t interrupt his attitude, he may need nourishment. He may just need to unwind from a hard day. I find this to be true many times!
- Speak softly and do not show anger when things don’t go your way. Compromise!
- Treat your husband with respect. The same will come back to you.
- Set aside a time to reflect on your day and talk out issues that are troubling you both.
- No name calling! This only hurts him and will come back to hurt you in the long run.
- Appreciate his hobbies. This can free time for you to do the things you enjoy.
- Welcome times that he wants to go off with his buddies. We all need time with our friends.
- Be willing to hand over the remote. This is not an easy task. Maybe think about sharing or even buying a TV for the bedroom.
- Keep your car clean. Guys hate dirty cars with all kinds of “stuff” thrown around the inside.
- The man is head of the house. Let him believe it even if you have to take the lead at times.
- Remain faithful until death do us part. God has joined you as one.
- Above all else, keep yourself healthy and desirable.
- Keep the house clean and tidy.
- Have dinner prepared or at least a plan when he comes home from work. You will win brownie points for this one!
- Don’t spend the day in your pj’s even if it’s the weekend. Guys like their ladies to look their best.
- Money issues will arise. Have an open mind when he complains about your shopping habits.
- Make a list of chores you need help with and present it to him. Let him pick one’s he feels comfortable doing.
- Always, always expect to give the best and the best is what you will get in return!
Keep in mind that you and your spouse will always have disagreements. The thing to keep in mind is that you were attracted to each other for many reasons. Look deep into your heart and ask yourself, “Am I willing to endure the little struggles of life in order to have a wonderful life?”
Let me hear from you. I know there a more ways to love and keep your spouse happy. You have to realize know too marriages are alike. You set the pattern when you say I DO. Start today and reclaim your marriage. It’s a daily work in progress but it can happen if you want it to.
I’m hoping 50 WAYS TO STAY MARRIED will give you ideas to get you on your way to a marriage God holds sacred!
In Christian love, Doris