Grandchildren are life’s greatest treasure! I know lots of people have many of them but with a new-found feeling of joy that overtakes you in the beginning, it’s all about that special one. He is my first and only blood grandson. Having grandkids by my son’s marriage is fantastic! I get to say I have 4 all together. They are precious one by one.
Being the dodging grandparent, that would be me, I was able to babysit him every weekend from the age of 2 weeks old. He would come every Friday night to stay while my son and his wife went out on a date. I really think that is an important part of a marriage. I always welcomed the time I could spend with him. I like to have fun and dressed him up like Woody, one of his favorite characters.
I had a Christmas tree in our bedroom and when he came to visit I turned off all the lights except for the tree and we like to watch The Grinch. I must have watched it over 500 times. Another one of his favorite movies. It was all whimsical and full of fun and laughter!
The easy way to 10 years of journalism is picking up that journal and jot down just a few short sentences about your grandchild’s life.
- Select a journal that is easy to hold and tuck away in your purse if needed.
- Select a good writing pen, use the same one day after day. A generic pen that you can change out the ink is best.
- Write about special days, birthdays, first day of school, friends, and make these days your easy entires.
- Add photos and awards they have received.
- Post a reminder on the refrigerator to “write in your journal”.
- School day memories is a great entry to write about. (1st grade all the way to 5th or 6th grade gives many cherriest happenings.)
- Entries about report cards and teachers will be good subjects.
- Add messages about friends and sleep overs.
- Favorite foods, snacks, & drinks.
- Favorite Disney movies or cartoons, & television shows.
I love the finished journal and there are times I sit in my stressless recliner and read from it. I’m reminded of the early years but now that my grandson is almost 14, I appreciate the journal more than ever. It took dedication and percifereny to write in it when there are so many things that take over our lives. I just feel it’s one of the best things I have ever done!
You too can give it a try, grandparent, 10 years of journalism is a real-life way to bring your memories into the moment. Begin with just few lines, maybe one paragraph is all you have time to write. That’s a great place to start.
Let me hear about your progress. I love to connect with grandparents!